What about money?

Your training contract must outline training remuneration. We cannot directly answer questions you might have about the amount you’ll be paid, as different industries have different standards when it comes to pay during training. Tariff contracts may also establish how much you will get paid. In general, pay depends on the industry, career, year and type of training. You can find an overview of different careers and their pay scales on our website www.jugend.dgb.de as well as in the “montag” magazine. If your pay is considerably lower than the local average for your field, you should contact your union for advice. §17, paragraph 1 of the BBiG states that you have the right to reasonable remuneration. The Minimum Wage Act unfortunately does not apply to trainees (§23, paragraph 3 of the MiLoG). According to the application of justice, compensation is deemed reasonable as long as it helps support the trainee and their parents to cover the cost of living, acting as a minimum income. We can presume from the application of justice that compensation is not reasonable if it is more than 20% lower than the tariff remuneration for that industry and region.

If there are no applicable tariff regulations, you can refer to recommendations from the relevant trade guild or chamber of industry. This must be based on current tariff contracts and recommendations, and these may differ from what was valid at the beginning of your training. The state allows training places supported by public funds to significantly undercut this 80% threshold, i.e. if your training is supported by public funds and/or donations, your income during training could be significantly lower than that of other similar trainees.

Training compensation must increase as your skills improve – at least once a year. It is calculated on a monthly basis (§18 of the BBiG).

If your training income is not paid regularly, this can have dramatic consequences; you rely on this money.

The Occupational Training Act states that your compensation for the ongoing calendar month should be paid by the last working day of the month at the latest. If this is not the case, you should contact your union as soon as possible.

 Why do I have to keep proof of training?